I began by doing some sketches of the sort of feel that I wanted..
I liked these concepts. I liked the idea of lots of rough hewn stone bricks..
From there I started working on some static meshes in maya.
I made a small piece first, then I used that piece to make both a wall and a pillar.
I mapped the small piece to work with a single repeating texture. I made textures in photoshop.
These textures were made with a combination of filters and painting, not photos were used.
I started by using a combination of filters to make a realistic stone texture. The process was, clouds, add noise on one layer, then on an alpha channel use difference clouds and noise. Then on the first layer, use lighting effects with the alpha made earlier as the texture channel.
If done correctly you should get something close to the stone texture of the bricks on this texture. I tweaked it a lot to get the effect I wanted.
Here are my diffuse, specular, and normal maps.
I then took all of the assets, (textures and meshes) into UDK to compile them together and take them for a testdrive. Here is what they look like so far.
The wall, and border
(I built the border after, I will show stuff about that in the next post.)
Well that is all for now. I should have floor plans and have the level started by tomorrow. I also should have more assets finished.
Until then, stay tuned!